Twenty-one new foods will entice stomachs at 2023 Fair
Spencer, Iowa — Fairgoers to the 2023 Clay County Fair powered by SMU will have 21 new foods to enjoy during their visit September 9-17, including five that have been named as finalists for the seventh edition of the “The World’s Greatest County Fair Food” Contest sponsored by Farmers Savings Bank.
“In our visitor surveys, fairgoers tell us one of the top reasons they attend the Fair is for the food,” said Fair Manager Jerome Hertel. “This list of unique new foods will only add to our reputation as a nine-day foodie festival.”
“The World’s Greatest County Fair Food” Contest will be judged by a panel of local celebrity judges on Saturday, Sept. 9 at 2:30pm on the Central Park Stage with one vendor taking home the coveted title of “The World’s Greatest County Fair Food.”
The finalists (and vendors) are as follows:
- Oreo Caramel Krispies (Black Tie Caramel) – Our delicious Oreo Caramel Krispies are made with our proprietary caramel recipe. With Each bite the flavor of the creamy caramel and crunch from the Oreo Krispy is the perfect party in your mouth with a fine chocolate finish.
- ½ lb. Homemade Tenderloin (C & C Concessions) – Giant 1/2 pound tenderloin made from 100% pork loin. Hand tenderized, hand rolled and hand breaded these loins are from my grandmas original recipe!
- Pickle Pizza (Godfather’s Pizza) – The pizza starts with a new crust, then gets covered with a custom made dill ranch, followed by a layer of 100% real mozzarella cheese and finally finished with an abundance of delicious dill pickles.
- Chicken Flautas (Ormic Concessions) – Flautas are corn tortilla with chicken rolled and deep fried in oil. They are served in a cup with our homemade salsa, lettuce, tomato and sour cream and sprinkled with shaved cheese.
- Deep Fried Strawberry Shortcake on a Stick (Smith Concessions) – A Deep Fried Strawberry Shortcake on a Stick. It is a strawberry cake roll on a stick dipped in a sweet batter then deep fried. We top it with whipped cream and a delicious strawberry glaze.
In addition to “The World’s Greatest County Fair Food,” there will again be the “People’s Choice” Award. Fairgoers can sample the five finalists and cast their vote at any of the Fair’s information booths from Saturday, September 9 through Wednesday, September 13. The winner will be announced on Thursday, September, 14 during the Fair.
Beside the finalists, other new foods at the upcoming Fair include:
- Black Tie Caramel – Sea Salted Caramel Chews and Sauces (Multiple Flavors)
- Black Tie Caramel – Toffee Caramel Crunch
- Black Tie Caramel – Beaver Tails
- Black Tie Caramel – Sourdough Toffee Pretzels
- Black Tie Caramel – Oreo Caramel Krispies
- Spencer Jaycees – Poopy Pig
- Smith Concessions- Deep-Fried Strawberry Shortcake On A Stick
- Side Door Concessions, LLC- Grinder Ball
- Side Door Concessions, LLC- Strawberry Lemonade Creamsicle
- Girl’d Cheese- Sheboygan Griller
- Girl’d Cheese- Waffle Cookie
- C & C Concessions, Inc- ½ Lb Homemade Tenderloin (Hand Cut And Hand Breaded)
- Simply Sweet Cheesecake – Red Bull Tinis Dragon Drink
- Simply Sweet Cheesecake – Red Bull Tinis Dragonfruit Drink
- Simply Sweet Cheesecake – Red Bull Tinis Mango Dragon Drink
- Godfather’s Pizza – Pickle Pizza
- Ruthven Meat Processing, Inc – Individual Charcuterie Boxes
- Ruthven Meat Processing, Inc – Charcuterie Skewers
- Ruthven Meat Processing, Inc – Locker Trash
- Boji Blends, LLC – Yogurt Parfait Popsicle
- Journey Trail Mix – Gourmet Trail Mixes (Variety)
- Ormic Concessions – Chicken Flautas
To find your favorite foods at the 2023 Fair, a complete food directory can be found at https://claycountyfair.com/visit-the-fair/vendor-directory/. The directory allows you to search and locate your old and new favorite foods by name and vendor location.
About the Clay County Fair & Events Center Rooted in Tradition, the Clay County Fair and Events Center is a year-round facility that annually hosts more than 300 events, including its signature event, the Clay County Fair powered by SMU. Known as “The World’s Greatest County Fair” since 1917, the Clay County Fair attracts more than 325,000 guests each September for nine-days of world-class entertainment, competition, food, fun, and the largest farm machinery show at any fair in the United States. Additional information can be found at claycountyfair.com.