Twenty-eight new foods will entice stomachs at 2022 Fair
Spencer, Iowa — Fairgoers to the 2022 Clay County Fair powered by SMU will have 28 new foods to enjoy during their visit September 10-18, including five that have been named as finalists for the sixth edition of the “The World’s Greatest County Fair Food” Contest.
“In our visitor surveys, fairgoers tell us one of the top reasons they attend the Fair is for the food,” said Fair Manager Jeremy Parsons. “This list of unique new foods will only add to our reputation as a nine-day foodie festival.”
“The World’s Greatest County Fair Food” Contest will be judged by a panel of local celebrity judges on Saturday, Sept. 10 at 2:30pm on the Northwest Bank Stage with one vendor taking home the coveted title of “The World’s Greatest County Fair Food.”
The finalists (and vendors) are as follows:
· Roasted corn (Ormic Concessions) – Prepared in the traditional style of south Texas, the corn is roasted in the husk. After roasting, the husk is peeled back and choices are added: butter, mayonnaise, red chili sauce or powder and grated Mexican Cotija cheese. Most prefer the “con todo” option – “with everything!”
· Lasagna Griller (Girl’d Cheese) – Italian sausage, a yummy ricotta mixture, gooey mozzarella and marinara sauce all grilled into a crisp sandwich. No need for a fork!
· Berkshire Bacon Ball on a Stick (Side Door Concessions) – A bacon meatball made with Berkwood Farms bacon and stuffed with a homemade bacon cheese, wrapped with two pieces of bacon, smoked, dipped in bbq sauce, and on a stick.
· Deep Fried Deviled Eggs (Iowa Egg Council) – A Midwest classic with a crispy twist! Panko breaded egg whites with a pickled yoke sauce that would make grandma proud. Served six pieces per order and enough sauce to cover ’em all.
· Brisket Nachos (Gobblestop Turkey Shop) – Nachos with cheese covered with slow cooked smoked brisket and topped with some more nacho cheese, BBQ sauce and jalapenos if you’d like.
In addition to “The World’s Greatest County Fair Food,” there will again be the “People’s Choice” Award. Fairgoers can sample the five finalists and cast their vote at any of the Fair’s information booths from Saturday, September 10 through Wednesday, September 14. The winner will be announced on Thursday, September 15 during the Fair.
Are you a “Fair Foodie?” Again this year, Fairgoers can take the Fair Foodie Challenge – pick up a special Foodie card at any information booth, sample all of the finalists, turn the Foodie card back in at any information booth and receive a special “Fair Foodie” button.
Beside the finalists, other new foods at the upcoming Fair include:
· Love you Tender (punchy crispy chicken) – Little Blue Elephant
· Little Mermaids (shrimp tempura) – Little Blue Elephant
· Pistol Pete’s “Almost World Famous” deep-fried pretzels – Smith Concessions
· Brisket – Gobblestop Turkey Shop
· Mac’s Cristo – McCreary’s Creative Catering
· S’mores crumble waffle – Nordic Waffles
· Roasted Corn in a Cup – Ormic Concessions
· Horchata – Ormic Concessions
· Chocolate Dipped Espresso Beans – Ground to Perfection
· Handcrafted Gourmet Popsicles – Boji Blends
· Bacon Pecan Pie – Side Door Concessions
· Chicken bacon ranch ball – Side Door Concessions
· Walt’s Lemonade Creamsicle – Side Door Concessions
· Mini Donut Latte – Black Earth Java
· Red Bull Spritzers – Black Earth Java
· Lotus Energy drinks – Black Earth Java
· Italian Sodas – Black Earth Java
· Creamosas – Black Earth Java
· Chocolate covered espresso beans – Black Earth Java
· Freeze Dried Candies – Da Bomb Candy
· Cluck’n Coop Egg-O-Fuego – Iowa Egg Council
· Chicken & Egg Salad on Indian Fry Bread – Iowa Egg Council
· Egg Nog Iced Coffee – Iowa Egg Council
To find your favorite foods at the 2022 Fair, a complete food directory can be found at https://claycountyfair.com/visit-the-fair/vendor-directory/. The directory allows you to search and locate your old and new favorite foods by name and vendor location.
About The Clay County Fair & Events Center Rooted in Tradition, the Clay County Fair and Events Center is a year-round facility that annually hosts more than 300 events, including its signature event, the Clay County Fair powered by SMU. Known as “The World’s Greatest County Fair” since 1917, the Clay County Fair attracts more than 300,000 guests each September for nine-days of world-class entertainment, competition, food, fun, and the largest farm machinery show at any fair in the United States. Additional information can be found at claycountyfair.com.