Spencer, Iowa — Fairgoers to the 2021 Clay County Fair powered by SMU will have 31 new foods to enjoy during their visit Sept. 11-19, including five that have been named as finalists for the fifth edition of the “The World’s Greatest County Fair Food” Contest.
“In our visitor surveys, fairgoers tell us one of the top reasons they attend the Fair is for the food,” said Fair Manager Jeremy Parsons. “This list of unique new foods will only add to our reputation as a nine-day foodie festival.”
“The World’s Greatest County Fair Food” Contest will be judged by a panel of local celebrity judges on Saturday, Sept. 11 at 3:00pm on the Central Park Stage with one vendor taking home the coveted title of “The World’s Greatest County Fair Food.”
The five finalists (and vendors) are as follows:
- Pad Thai (Little Blue Elephant) – sautéed rice noodles with chicken, carrots, zucchini, broccoli, green onions, and peanuts.
- Apple Pied Donuts (Bean Counter Concessions) – cinnamon sugared mini donuts topped with warm homemade chunky applesauce, whipped cream, and caramel drizzle.
- Pickle Wrap (Girl’d Cheese) – fresh deli sliced dried beef, dill pickle slices, cream cheese, and mozzarella cheese grilled on bread.
- Biscoff ® & Banana Cheesecake Waffle (Nordic Waffles) – a fresh crepe-like waffle coated in Biscoff ® Cookie butter and filled with banana cheesecake, crushed Lotus cookies, whipped cream, and Fruity pebbles.
- Pigtail Sundae (Clay County Pork Producers Chop Shop) – a bed of pigtail fries covered in pulled pork and topped with coleslaw.
In addition to “The World’s Greatest County Fair Food” there will again be the “People’s Choice” Award. Fairgoers can sample the five finalists and cast their vote at any of the Fair’s information booths from Saturday, September 11-Wednesday, September 15. The winner will be announced on Thursday, September 16 during the Fair.
Are you a “Fair Foodie?” Again this year, Fairgoers can take the Fair Foodie Challenge – pick up a special Foodie card at any information booth, sample all five of the finalists, turn the Foodie card back in at any information booth and receive a special “Fair Foodie” button and a special gift for completing the challenge.
Beside the five finalists, other new foods at the upcoming Fair include:
- Honey Roasted Chipotle Peanut Roll – Colonial Nut Roll Company
- Egg Bake Muffins – Colonial Nut Roll Company
- Elderberry Maple Syrup – Morley’s Maple Syrup
- Cowgirl Cone – Oak Tree Bar-B-Que
- Sloppywich – Oak Tree Bar-B-Que
- Sloppy Nachos – Oak Tree Bar-B-Que
- All-American Burger – Spencer Jaycees
- Pizza Burger – Spencer Jaycees
- Tator Tots – Charlie’s Food Concessions
- Deep-fried Banana Bar – McCreary’s Creative Catering
- Warm Oat (Oatmeal) Bowls – Big Acai Bowls
- Protein Power Balls – Big Acai Bowls
- Energy Granola Bars – Big Acai Bowls
- Breakfast Sausage Waffle Stix covered in peanut butter and bacon – Waffle Chicks
- Bourbon Chicken and Rice – Bryan’s Concessions
- Bourbon Chicken Sandwich – Bryan’s Concessions
- Homemade Chicken & Noodles / Homemade Mashed Potatoes – TnT Concessions
- Grilled desserts (strawberries & cream, campfire apple pie, s’mores) – Girl’d Cheese
- Fresh Roasted Peanuts – Completely Nuts
- Thai cuisine and sushi – Little Blue Elephant
- Teriyaki Steak, Shrimp, Pork, and Grilled Chicken – Linda Chan’s Concessions
- Cheesecake Cupcakes – Simply Sweet Cheesecake
- Cheesecakes with various toppings – Simply Sweet Cheesecake
- Slushees – Oz Concessions
- Daybreaker’s Delight – Daybreaker’s Kiwanis Club
- Nordic Waffles – Nordic Waffles
To find your favorite foods at the 2021 Fair, use the Food Finder at claycountyfair.com. The Food Finder allows you to search and locate your old and new favorite foods by name and vendor location.
About The Clay County Fair & Events Center Rooted in Tradition, the Clay County Fair and Events Center is a year-round facility that annually hosts more than 300 events, including its signature event, the Clay County Fair powered by SMU. Known as “The World’s Greatest County Fair” since 1917, the Clay County Fair attracts more than 325,000 guests each September for nine-days of world-class entertainment, competition, food, fun, and the largest farm machinery show at any fair in the United States. Additional information can be found at claycountyfair.com.