Clay County Fair & Events Center receives international recognition
Presented at the Closing Party and Awards Reception on November 30, the Fair received first place recognition in two categories, along with 10 other awards, at the annual International Association of Fairs and Expositions (IAFE) Convention held this week in San Antonio.
First place honors included “Single Photo of Rodeo” and “New Single Class in Competitive Exhibits.”
The IAFE awards program allows member fairs to enter competitions based on competitive exhibits, agricultural education and communications. The entries are evaluated and judged by teams of industry leaders. For the awards program, the approximately 1,100 member fairs of the IAFE are split into five categories based on attendance. The Clay County Fair competes in Division 3, which is limited to fairs across the globe with an attendance of 250,000-500,000.
Taking top honors in the Agriculture Awards for “Single Photo of Rodeo” was a photo taken by Jim Steffens of Steffens Game Day Photography during the Fair’s PRCA Rodeo on September 9.
The Fair also received first place in Competitive Exhibits Awards for “New Single Class in Competitive Exhibits” featuring the new Memorable Collections class in the Creative Living Center. The Memorable Collections class, under the direction of Gayle Simons, received 22 entries in its first year at the Fair.
“These awards are all due to the hard work of our Board of Directors, staff, sponsors and partners, and volunteers,” said Fair Manager Jeremy Parsons. “It is an honor to receive these awards and recognition from our peers in the fair industry.”
Besides the two first place awards, the Fair claimed the following other awards:
– Second place, “Single Photo of Livestock,” Agriculture Awards – photo by Spencer Daily Reporter
– Second place, “Newspaper Ad – Black and White,” Communications Awards
– Second place, “Promotional Event,” Communications Awards – Iowa Lakes Community College Science Saturday
– Third Place, “Single Photo of Horticulture/Crops,” Agriculture Awards – Photo by Judy Hemphill
– Third place, “New Display Method and/or Prop,” Competitive Exhibit Awards – Ag Department corn display racks
– Third place, “Single Photo of Competitive Exhibit Display,” Competitive Exhibits Awards – Canned Goods Department – Photo by Judy Hemphill
– Third place, “Photo Series of Competitive Exhibit Display,” Competitive Exhibits Awards – Ag Department Scarecrows – Photos by Andrea Wiesenmeyer
– Third place, “Photo Series of a General Display,” Competitive Exhibits Awards – Smoky Mountain Railroad – Photos by Andrea Wiesenmeyer
– Third place, “Best Magazine Ad,” Communications Awards
– Third place, “Social Media Campaign,” Communications Awards
About IAFE The IAFE is a voluntary, not-for-profit corporation, serving state, provincial, regional, and county agricultural fairs, shows, exhibitions, and expositions. Its associate members include state and provincial associations of fairs, non-agricultural expositions and festivals, associations, corporations, and individuals engaged in providing products and services to its members, all of whom are interested in the improvement of fairs and allied fields.